Captain Cahit Yalcin is a master mariner with 17 years of sea experience serving on bulk carriers, general cargo and container ships. Moving ashore, Cahit joined the Turkish Maritime Administration and worked for 15 years in different technical and administrative positions. On the technical area, he acted as a port state control officer, flag state inspector, chief regional ship inspections supervisor, maritime casualties investigator, IMDG Code trainer and oil pollution on scene coordinator. On the administrative side, Cahit also served as Minister’s counsellor on IMO issues. Today he works as senior and lead consultant.
Captain Yalcin represented Turkey in the IMO in more than 20 Sub-Committee, Committee, Council and Assembly meetings. In the very beginning of the IMO Member State Audit Scheme, Cahit was nominated as auditor and shortly after qualified as lead auditor. Today he is one of the most experienced IMO auditors with more than 10 official audits for the IMO an uncounted number of VIMSAS/IMSAS related mock audits, training missions and workshops all around the world.
In addition Cahit’s expertise covers Implementation of IMO Instruments, Port State Control, Carriage of Dangerous Goods (IMDG Code) and Casualty Investigations.
To be successful at sea
you must keep things simple.
- 2014 onwardsSenior pilot and independent consultant
- 2011 – 2014Counsellor to Minister (Ministry of Transport & Maritime Affairs, Turkey)
- 2011Counsellor to Undersecretary
- 2008 – 2011Antalya District Office, deputy director
- 2006 – 2008Antalya District Office, Chief Surveyor
- 2000 – 2006Turkish Maritime Administration, PSCO & Flag State Inspector
- 1993 – 2000Master mariner on international voyage
- 1984 – 1993Navigational officer
- 1984Graduation as nautical officer, State Maritime Academy